These BBQ jackfruit sandwiches have the chewy flavor and texture of pulled pork along with a savory smoky BBQ sauce. Serve it as a meat-free sandwich in under 20 minutes.
BBQ jackfruit sandwiches are a meatless, yet quite meaty sandwich made from canned or fresh jackfruit. Jackfruit makes a healthy and delicious alternative to meat, such as pulled pork, and is super easy to work with.
In this sandwich recipe, it makes a filling, savory burger-like sandwich similar to a sloppy joe or a pulled pork sandwich. The perfect summer barbeque addition or even a hearty winter meal. Read on to learn how to make this spicy jackfruit sandwich in just 20 minutes.
Why You'll Love Jackfruit
1. Jackfruit is a wonderful meat replacer because it can emulate shredded meat, easily absorbing spices and sauce flavors, and it is also healthy. The fruit is also rich in a slew of vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, fiber, healthy fat and protein yet no cholesterol or saturated fats.
2. Jackfruit is huge, a melon fruit (often around 80 pounds) that hangs off an evergreen tree in India. In the USA, we can find it canned, or fresh, probably most likely in Asian supermarkets.
3. Jackfruit has two flavor personalities. When it is young and green, it's perfect for savory recipes like these BBQ jackfruit sandwiches. When it is ripe and sweet, it's perfect for desserts such as my tropical jackfruit smoothie.
How to Break Down Jackfruit
Below you can see the inside of a fresh jackfruit melon. The stringy meat you see is what is used for savory recipes; the yellow pods minus seeds are used for sweet recipes. You can choose to break down a fresh jackfruit or buy the green meat in cans. Read on to learn how to break down a fresh one.
Expert tip: Breaking down a jackfruit is fairly messy so spread newspapers or other helpful coverings on your table before beginning.
step 1: Wash off the outside like you would a watermelon.
step 2: Cut it in half like you would any melon.
step 3: Scoop out the yellow pods that dot the insides.
step 4: Within each fleshy pod, you scoop out a hard seed. Toss the hard seeds away.
Expert tip: The yellow pods are for sweet recipes like that smoothie I mentioned while the stringy meat that the pods lay in is what you use for a savory recipes such as this BBQ Jackfruit sandwich.
Ingredients for Sandwiches
Jackfruit - Shredded meat from either a fresh but less ripe jackfruit, or canned jackfruit. Look for it packaged in brine or water, but not a syrup. If you see seeds, you can safely eat them in the canned version, they are soft enough.
BBQ Sauce - Choose your favorite. I love this one.
Onion, Garlic, chopped
Spices - Cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, pepper, salt
How to Make BBQ Jackfruit
Step 1: Rinse off the fresh shredded jackfruit or open cans of jackfruit and rinse, and shred further if needed by using a small sharp knife to pull away the sides.
Step 2: Toss the shredded jackfruit in the broth, sugar and spices. Set aside.
Step 3: Heat a skillet coated with oil and saute until brown the chopped onion and garlic.
Step 4: Add in the jackfruit mixture and let it sit for about 5 minutes to create a crispy crust. Check though to be sure it's not burning. Toss for another 3 minutes to heat through. You aren't really cooking it, just melding flavors.
Step 5: Transfer to a bowl and toss in barbecue sauce.
Step 6: Serve immediately on buns with greens and tomatoes and maybe more sauce. Enjoy!
How to Store
Store BBQ jackfruit in the refrigerator for 4 days or freeze the jackfruit mixture before or after barbeque sauce is added for about 2 months. Thaw, warm in the microwave or in a skillet and toss with fresh barbeque sauce.
Spicy. Add a small amount of chopped jalapeno peppers.
Onions. Chop ¼ cup of green scallions and toss those in with the broth.
Greek-style. Add ¼ cup black olives, tossing in with barbeque sauce after heating is done.
How to Serve
- Serve BBQ jackfruit on buns with lettuce and tomato slices as you would a sloppy joe, pulled pork or even a burger.
- Serve on a pan with fixings buffet style so people can build their own sandwich.
- Serve alone as a side for a different sandwich or protein.
Yes, but the jackfruit might dry it out so you'd have to play with timing and I'm not sure how well the crispy edges will harden.
Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave and add more BBQ sauce if needed.
Other Comfort Food Recipes
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches (20 minutes)
- 2 (20oz/567g) cans young green jackfruit* (my favorite brand of canned, or use fresh jackfruit - see my post for how-to)
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ tsp each cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, pepper, salt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce
- Prepare jackfruit. Either chop up a fresh and obtain the shreds or open cans of jackfruit, rinse and use a small sharp knife to pull away at the sides of the small triangles to create shreds.
- Toss the jackfruit shreds in broth, sugar and spices. Set aside.2 (20oz/567g) cans young green jackfruit*, ¼ cup vegetable broth, 2 tablespoon brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon each cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, pepper, salt
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and saute until brown the chopped onion and garlic.2 tablespoon olive oil, ¼ cup yellow onion, 2 cloves garlic
- Add in the jackfruit shreds and let it sit in the hot pan for about 5 minutes so the bottom forms a crispy crust. Check it though, you don't want it to burn.After that, toss with a fork for another 3 minutes. You aren't really cooking, more melding flavors, heating and creating those crispy edges.
- Transfer the sauteed and shredded jackfruit into a bowl and pour on barbecue sauce. Toss it thoroughly and serve.1 cup BBQ Sauce
- Serve immediately on buns with greens and tomatoes and maybe more sauce. Enjoy!
How to Store
- Store in refrigerator for 4 days, or freeze the jackfruit mixture before or after barbeque sauce is added for about 2 months. Thaw, warm in the microwave or in a skillet and toss with fresh barbeque sauce.