Spicy homemade applesauce or apple puree with 4 ingredients, blended then a quick simmer, filling your kitchen with a wonderful fragrance. A fresh applesauce ready in 20 minutes.
This delicious homemade applesauce with cinnamon is both easy and healthy, and full of spicy apple flavor thanks to the addition of apple cider. The texture is smooth thanks to a quick blend before simmering. The resulting applesauce, also considered an apple puree because of the blending, is perfect to use anywhere you would use applesauce.
Since I often use applesauce to replace eggs, this means recipes like my healthy chocolate cake, my chocolate chip loaf cake, or any of my muffins, chocolate chip muffins, cranberry orange muffins, or even my Jordan Marsh blueberry muffins.
Why You'd Love This
As healthy as the apples you use and then some. I suggest using organic apples and to balance the flavor, use half green for sour and half red for sweet. Apples provide so much fiber and essential nutrients for the immune system that the saying "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" actually can ring true.
Also, because my method does not involve any cooking, on the stove or slow cooker or instapot, your butter will keep all the luscious nutrients that grew in your apples.
Apples. Use mostly red apples such as McIntosh, Fuji and Gala to add sweet flavor. Add a green Grannysmith for a less sweet note. Don't peel, don't use Red Delicious which can be mushy, and don't use overripe apples.
Apple cider. You can use water instead but apple cider lends a tangy apple flavor to your applesauce.
Lemon juice. This adds a bright citrus flavor.
Spices. I use cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and salt. You can also use pumpkin pie spice.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Steps by Step Instructions
For more detail, visit the complete recipe at the bottom of this post, but here are general steps.
Step 1: Wash apples. If you are going to peel, peel now. Then cut. Stand an apple up, slice downwards to cut 4 chunks off, up against the core. Discard the core. Do not peel.
Step 2: Add the apples and other ingredients to a blender and process for about 1 minute or until smooth.
Step 3: Put that mixture into a pot and bring to a boil. At the first couple of plops, turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. If necessary, add a tablespoon more of water to keep the mixture bubbling.
Step 4: Let the mixture cool in the pot, then put in jars and refrigerate for up to 3 days. After that, freeze in ice cube trays for up to three months. Thaw overnight in refrigerator to use.
How to Use
- in place of applesauce
- used as a fruit dip
- serve on cereal or yogurt
- eat out of a jar with a spoon.
- used in apple cinnamon overnight oats
Be sure to use organic apples because apples have a higher percentage of pesticides in their skins and you want to keep the skins on for this recipe!
The terms are often used interchangeably, but some people say apple puree is run through a strainer after cooking to be served, say, to babies.
Other Apple Recipes
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
Homemade Applesauce (Apple Puree)
- 3 apples
- 3 tablespoon unsweetened apple cider
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- Wash apples. If you are going to peel, peel now. Then cut. Stand an apple up, slice downwards to cut 4 chunks off, up against the core. Discard the core. Do not peel.
- Add the apples and other ingredients to a blender and process for about 1 minute or until smooth.3 apples, 3 tablespoon unsweetened apple cider, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, pinch salt
- Put that mixture into a pot and bring to a boil. At the first couple of plops, turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. If necessary, add a tablespoon more of water to keep the mixture bubbling.
- Let the mixture cool in the pot, then put in jars.
- Refrigerate for up to 3 days. After that, freeze in ice cube trays for up to three months. Thaw overnight in refrigerator to use.