Baked pumpkin spice donuts gluten-free and vegan, made egg-free and dairy-free. Healthy and delicious, and ready in 20 minutes. A quick treat for when the fall season arrives, but also all year round!
Baked Pumpkin Spice Donuts
Baked pumpkin spice donuts are bursting with nutrition thanks to the pumpkin puree, a delicious sweet comfort food. These pumpkin spice donuts take center stage in September, as a seasonal fall treat, coinciding with the emergence of fresh pumpkins on the market.
But you don't have to wait until fall to enjoy them. In fact we make them year round as Cinnamon Pumpkin Donuts - I use this recipe but leave off the pumpkin spice snd add 1 tsp cinnamon instead !
Fresh or Canned Pumpkin Puree for Pumpkin Spice Donuts?
So let’s talk purée. Yes, you can use fresh pumpkins to make these. Cleaning, chopping and baking the chunks of pumpkin. But it's far easier to use canned pumpkin puree. And, aside from being a time-saver, canned foods are sometimes healthier than fresh that has traveled far from point of growth, according to Healthline. Largely because canning preserves nutrients, so canned foods often have similar nutrition as their fresh counterparts.
Just be sure to choose foods that don't have added sodium, sugars and excess preservatives or BPA in the can.
For pumpkin puree, I use Farmer's Market Foods organic brand but there are others. Just be sure to look for plain purée not pumpkin pie purée which has added spices and sugar.
How Do You Make Pumpkin Spice Donuts From Scratch?
It's easy! Just mix up the ingredients except flour in one bowl, add in the flour. Pipe into donut pan and bake. Make glaze or dip into sugar!
Which is Better Baked or Fried Donuts?
It has been pretty clear for a while that baked is best to reduce saturated fat.
Ingredients in My Pumpkin Spice Donuts
My pumpkin spice donut batter is very straight-forward, just pumpkin puree, spices, milk, sugar, salt and baking powder as well as flour. I made these with oat flour but I think all purpose and gluten-free baking flour 1 to 1 would also work.
How to Make Baked Pumpkin Donuts Without A Donut Pan?
Easy! Grease a muffin tin as you would a donut pan (no paper liners), and fill each well ⅔ full. Bake at 25 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
Make Mini Pumpkin Muffins With This Recipe
Yes, so easy to convert this recipe into mini-muffins. Just use a mini-muffin pan. Line them, and bake at 10 minutes at 350 F and test and see if a tester is clean.
Once they are done, tip the pan and let them fall onto a cooling rack because other wise they will continue to cook and dry out in the hot pan.
I used my donut glaze on mine once they cooled.
How to Serve Baked Pumpkin Donuts?
I coat them with a vanilla glaze here, but they are also delicious dipped in a sugar cinnamon mix.
Other Healthy Baked Donut Recipes
Chocolate Chickpea Protein Donuts
Are you on pinterest? Perhaps share this image..
Don't miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
If you try my recipes, please leave a comment and rating below and tag me on your Instagram or Facebook post with @greensmoothiegourmet and #greensmoothiegourmet so I can see and share your creations.
Baked Pumpkin Donuts
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-3 tsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 6-well donut pan or cupcake pan.
- In a large bowl, mix up oat flour, baking powder, pumpkin spice, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, stir up pumpkin puree, sugar, milk and vanilla. Pour the wet into the dry mixture and use a hand mixer to blend smooth.
- Pipe or use a spoon to fill the wells to the top.
- Bake for 20 -25 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Dip one side of each donut, allow excess to drip off, and set non-glazed side down on a cool rack. Allow glaze to set, about 10 minutes or less.
- Store covered lightly for one day on the counter; any longer and they turn soggy. You can refrigerate them covered for a week, or freeze for a month. If you freeze, just set them on the counter to defrost for 20 minutes.