These spicy chocolate black pepper truffles have a snappy flavor, creamy center, snappy chocolate shell and are made with only 5 ingredients in a single bowl, and only half an hour chill time. The perfect creamy treat for any holiday or celebration.
These spicy chocolate black pepper truffles are very easy to make, and the resulting fudgy creamy truffle dissolve in your mouth with a burst of spicy heat.
I added the bite of black pepper and cinnamon for a surprising flavor. These taste a bit like my chocolate fudge truffles but with a snap. And they are as easy to make as my chocolate coconut truffles and my chocolate fudge bars.
Why You'll Love This
Easy delicious spicy truffle. The recipe is easy to make in one bowl, and the truffles are ready in under an hour.
Wholesome ingredients. Using pepper, coconut cream and cocoa powder, these truffles will make you feel great and won't give you a sugar rush.
Fits all diets. As long as you choose a chocolate chip brand that is dairy free, this recipe fits all diets including dairy free, vegan, gluten free and paleo.
- chocolate chips. Or chop up a chocolate bar at least 70% cacao.
- black cocoa powder. Or use regular cocoa powder.
- coconut cream. The solid portion of two cans of full fat coconut milk.
- fresh black pepper. The spice found in the spice aisle.
- cinnamon powder. Another spice found in the spice aisle.
See the recipe card at the bottom for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Steps to Make
For more detail, visit the complete recipe at the bottom of this post, but here are general steps.
Step 1. Chill two cans of full fat coconut milk overnight so the cream separates from the liquid.
Step 2. Remove the solid cream, and warm it in the microwave or double boiler.
Step 3. Pour on to chocolate chips and stir until melted.
Step 4. Add in cocoa and spices.
Step 5. Chill and roll
Step 6. Coat in melted chocolate.
You can use chocolate chips or chop up chocolate bars that are 60% cacao and up. Choose a dairy free brand to keep the truffles dairy free or vegan such as EnjoyLife.
If you can't find black cocoa powder, you can use dutch processed which is dark in color or even use unsweetened cocoa for a lighter color.
Coated chocolate truffles can be at room temperature for about 24 hours, and then after that refrigerate for a week, or freeze for 3 months.
As in mushroom truffles? No, homemade truffles do not have mushrooms in them.
More Truffle Recipes
- chocolate praline truffles
- chocolate coconut truffles
- chocolate sugar cookie truffles
- chocolate vegan truffles
- chocolate hazelnut truffles
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
Chocolate Black Pepper Truffles
- ¾ cups chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon black cocoa powder
- ½ cup coconut milk, canned and only the solid part
- ½ tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Chill 1 can of full fat coconut milk overnight so the cream separates from the liquid. The next day, remove the cream solids - use them all, they will be close to ½ cup. Reserve the liquid for smoothies, refrigerate for 2 days or freeze in ice cube trays.½ cup coconut milk, canned and only the solid part
Make the Truffles
- Microwave the coconut cream at 1 minute intervals until steaming, or heat in a double boiler, stirring constantly.½ cup coconut milk, canned and only the solid part
- Pour chocolate chips for the truffles into a glass bowl. Pour hot steaming coconut cream on to the chips and let them sit for 60 seconds. Then stir until all are melted.¾ cups chocolate chips
- Stir in cocoa, pepper and cinnamon and stir again.1 tablespoon black cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ tablespoon ground black pepper
- Place this bowl in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a cookie sheet with parchment to prepare for making the truffles.
- Once the mixture is solid, use a small cookie scoop (1 tablespoon) to create small balls. Line them on the parchment paper and refrigerate the pan while you prepare the chocolate coating.
- Melt the chocolate chips for the coating in a pyrex measuring cup for 60 seconds. Stir until creamy. Microwave again at 15 seconds if the chips aren't completely melted.
Coat the Truffles
- Once the melted chocolate is ready, remove truffle balls from refrigerator, have another parchment-lined tray ready, and dip each ball in the chocolate. Lower each ball on a fork into the chocolate; use a spoon to drizzle the chocolate all over the ball.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on top fast! Even black sesame seeds.
- Let sit until ready to serve at room temperature.
- Coated chocolate truffles can be at room temperature for about 24 hours, and then after that refrigerate for a week, or freeze for 3 months.