These chocolate hazelnut truffles are delicious, high in protein, easy to make, and dairy free. The addition of maca powder provides energy and balances hormones but is optional.
These chocolate hazelnut truffles are made of dark chocolate and nutella. I used my homemade vegan nutella recipe. but you can use any hazelnut nut butter. The core ingredients of dark chocolate and hazelnuts will boost your mood, and assist your sleep. I also added maca powder, a superfood known to balance hormones but that's optional.
Dark chocolate. Used chocolate chips or a dark chocolate bar, at least 70% cacao for the health factors such as boosts to mood and sleep-supporting magnesium.
Nutella. Use a homemade version or buy a hazelnut butter made from hazelnuts and perhaps another nut. I don't recommend using commercial Nutella as it has additives that will prevent the truffle from setting, as well as has unhealthy ingredients.
Maca root. This optional superfood is often added to chocolate as it enhances the flavor, as well as provides nutritional benefits that support balanced hormones.[source]
How to Make
Step 1: Measure out nutella or make my homemade Vegan Nutella Recipe ahead of time and refrigerate. On truffle making day, make sure your nutella is at room temperature or a bit runny on the day you make this recipe. You can sit it in a hot water bath and stir or microwave at 15 seconds and stir.
Step 2: Line a mini muffin pan. Melt the chocolate chips or broken bar in a microwave safe measuring cup for 60 seconds. Stir until all are melted.
Step 3: Into the melted chocolate, stir in the nutella, maca powder, vanilla, and salt. Spoon or pour into the paper cups.
Step 4: Dollop on your nutella as a middle layer, about a teaspoon. Smooth it level with the back of a spoon. Finally pour on the remaining melted chocolate.
Step 5: Add toppings, either crush hazelnuts or grated chocolate, or even a dusting of cinnamon.
How to Store
Store at room temperature about two days. After that refrigerate for two days, and then freeze in air-tight containers for three months.
Other Truffle Recipes
- chocolate praline truffles
- chocolate black pepper truffles
- chocolate coconut balls
- chocolate sugar cookie truffles
- chocolate vegan truffles
I invite you to keep up with me on: Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter
Don't miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
If you try my recipes, please leave a comment and rating below and tag me on your Instagram post with @greensmoothiegourmet so I can see and share your remakes!!
Chocolate Hazelnut Truffles
Chocolate Hazelnut Cups
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips or bar, at least 70% cacao
- ¾ cup nutella (Use my nutella recipe or this chocolate hazelnut butter.
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- pinch salt
- Measure out your healthier nutella or make my homemade Vegan Nutella Recipe ahead of time and refrigerate. On truffle making day, make sure your nutella is at room temperature or a bit runny on the day you make this recipe. You can sit it in a hot water bath and stir or microwave at 15 seconds and stir.
- Line a mini muffin pan with 12 paper cups.
- Melt the chocolate chips or broken bar in a microwave safe measuring cup for 60 seconds. Stir until all are melted.
- Into the melted chocolate, stir in ⅓ cup nutella, maca powder, vanilla, and salt. Stir until smooth. You can microwave at 15 second intervals if need be to get the texture melty and smooth. Spoon or pour into the paper cups, filling each mini cupcake cups about ⅓ of the way deep. Tap the pan so the mixture levels.
- If you want perfectly horizontal layers, chill this pan about ten minutes in the freezer. If you don't mind what's picture, dips and swoops, don't chill just move on to next step.
- Next, dollop on to the top of each chocolate layer, a teaspoon of nutella, again filling each cup about ⅓. Tap the pan or smooth level with the back of a small spoon greased with coconut oil.
- Finally pour on the remaining melted chocolate, and dust with any topping, either crush hazelnuts or grated chocolate, or even a dusting of cinnamon. All to set in the refrigerator about 30 minutes, longer if you intend to unpeel.
- Store at room temperature about two days. After that refrigerate for two days, and then freeze in air-tight containers for three months.
These mini chocolate cups are so cute! I love the size of them, so convenient to put one of these directly into your mouth, haha. I want some chocolate now 🙂
Ela, thank you for stopping by! I love that you see the popping potential too, haha! Dee xx