An irresistible healthy and homemade chocolate ice cream recipe made in a blender! No dairy, no eggs, no bananas. A guilt-free indulgence loaded with a weight-control secret and just 4 simple ingredients.
This homemade chocolate ice cream made in a blender has a rich and creamy texture despite not needing an ice cream maker. Serve it with whipped cream and my healthy chocolate sauce recipe or my healthier magic shell, in three flavors, vanilla, chocolate and peanut butter.
There are no bananas in my recipe even though that's a popular way to make healthier ice cream as I did in this chocolate ice cream with bananas recipe. My daughter is intolerant to bananas so I came up with this non-banana version. This recipe is so easy, using cream instead. The chocolate flavor is incredible, but if you are short on time and want a chocolate shake that's equally delicious, try my creamy chocolate smoothie.
Why You'll Love This Ice Cream
Simple ingredients. The only ingredient that might not be in your kitchen is the cream. You'll need a can of full fat coconut milk or chilled heavy cream if you don't need it to be plant-based.
Nutritious. Ice cream that is good for you is exciting. This one is high in protein, refined-sugar-free, boosts your mood if you use quality cocoa (I love Ghiradelli cocoa!), and boosts your metabolism if you use coconut milk.
Easy to make. Just throw all the ingredients in a blender and blend. Pour into ice cube trays and freeze, or into ziplock bags and freeze flat. Thaw slightly, re-blend again, and freeze the mixture in a loaf pan and you have ice cream.
- Milk or Cream. I used full fat coconut milk, unsweetened and full fat, and canned, not the type from the refrigerator section. I can recommend brands Whole Foods 365, Thai kitchen or Nature's Valley. If you use heavy cream, you'll find that in the refrigerated section. If you want to use another type of milk, you will need to go with a high fat milk, and the ice cream will still end up more of a soft serve texture.
- Nut butter. I used cashew butter for a neutral flavor but you can use any nut butter.
- Cocoa powder. Use the best quality you can find for flavor. Valhrona provides an awesome flavor but it is expensive. Ghiradelli is my favorite.
- Vanilla, Maple syrup or date paste to sweeten, salt.
Steps to Make
The secret to making ice cream in a blender with cream is to blend it twice. The general steps to make ice cream with a blender are as follows:
Step 1. First blend up the ingredients, then freeze them an hour in either ice cube trays, or 1 gallon zip lock bags laid flat in the freezer.
Step 2. After freezing for that hour, either add the ice cubes in a blender or break up the 1 gallon ziplock bag mixture into chunks and put those in a blender.
Step 3. Wait 5-10 minutes for a slight thaw, then blend again. Fold mix-ins now if you are adding, such as chocolate chips or nuts.
Step 4. Now pour this mixture into a loaf pan or ice cream container and freeze for at least four hours to make it scoopable, longer or shorter depending on the texture you want.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
Choose a nut butter brand that does not have added sugar or other ingredients.
Don't leave off or reduce the vanilla. The alcohol in the extract will lower the freezing point making your ice cream softer and easier to scoop.
Can You Taste the Coconut is Coconut Milk?
Lite coconut milk never imparts a coconut flavor to recipes, but you need full fat here to make the ice cream creamy. However, depending on the can, the strength of the coconut flavor can vary even between brands. The Whole Foods 365 full fat brand doesn't impart a strong coconut flavor. Adding cold-brew coffee or cayenne pepper will disguise any coconut flavor.
How Healthy is Coconut Milk?
Unsweetened canned coconut milk is high in saturated fat, which normally would not be good for you, however, coconut's saturated fat is special. It is made up of something called MCTS that make it easy for the body to transform into energy and boosts the metabolism so weight-loss is easier.
Studies done on MCTS (medium-chain triglycerides) show consumption actually supports weight-loss without trying, especially belly fat, primarily because of their ability to boost energy and help you feel full.
Can you Blend Ice Cream in a Blender?
Yes, use this 4-ingredient recipe! Just blend up these ingredients, freeze one hour, blend, and freeze again.
Ice Cream & More Recipes
- Magic Shell (3 flavors)
- Healthy Chocolate Sauce
- Sweet Potato Ice Cream
- Date Raspberry Ice Cream
- Cauliflower Ice Cream
- Blueberry Ice Cream
- Chocolate Ice Cream (with bananas)
If you try my recipes, please leave a comment and rating below and tag me on your Instagram post with @greensmoothiegourmet so I can see and share your remakes!!
Follow me on social media where I post daily healthy eating and lifestyle inspiration:
Instagram | TikTok | Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |
Subscribe HERE to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream (blender)
- Measuring cups & spoons
Makes 2-3 cups
- 3 cups milk or heavy cream (I used full fat coconut milk, canned, unsweetened. See notes.)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup nut butter I used cashew butter
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon cold coffee*
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper*
- Chocolate Chip Cookie - mix in chunks of vegan chocolate chip cookie dough (my Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough recipe here.)
- The milk should be at room temperature.
Make Ice Cream
- Blend up all ingredients until smooth. Taste-test to be sure it is sweet enough. Add more maple syrup if it is not.3 cups milk or heavy cream, ¼ cup maple syrup, ½ cup nut butter, ⅓ cup cocoa powder, 2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Spoon mixture into ice cube trays or zip lock bags and flatten. Freeze for at least 1 hour.
- Blend the cubes or broken shards. If you intend to add mix-ins, such as chips or cookie dough chunks, fold them in now.3 tablespoon cold coffee*, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper*, Chocolate Chip Cookie - mix in chunks of vegan chocolate chip cookie dough
- Pour the mixture into a parchment-lined loaf pan.
- Cover and freeze another 4 or so hours or until you reach the texture you want.
- If you freeze the finished ice cream overnight, let it thaw 20 minutes before scooping.
- Top with homemade chocolate sauce or a melted chocolate bar! Enjoy!
Can I use any nut butter?
Almond butter is fine. I prefer cashew because it is typically creamier and has a more neutral flavor. Dee
Your ice cream looks amazing Dee, and I love the fact that you don't need an ice cream maker! Need to try your recipe 🙂
Thank you Ela!