Chocolate Chunk Buckwheat Heart Waffles.
Do you love easy waffles? Well, these are chocolate-y, vegan and gluten-free, and only a few ingredients.
The mixture comes together fast and is quite easy to waffle.
You don’t have to make them into hearts, haha. But if you are looking for a good heart waffle maker, try this one. It is sturdy and works great!
This recipe is also awesomely gluten-free which is important to me because I’m not so sure gluten is all that great for any of us.
And buckwheat, which is the main ingredient in these waffles, is super healthy as well as gluten-free. You can use actually buckwheat groats in this recipe, but soak them overnight first to remove any bitter resins.
I prefer using buckwheat flour which is getting easier and easier to find, and still presents that wonderful earthy nutty flavor that straight groats do.
Either way, I hope you love these easy, nutritious waffles!
Chocolate Chunk Buckwheat Heart Waffles (vegan, gluten-free)
Chocolate chunk buckwheat heart waffles are fun, delicious and gluten-free because I’m not so sure gluten is good for any of us. This recipe makes about 8 waffles.
- 1 heart waffle maker (I use this waffle maker)
- Stir together the dry ingredients - flour, cacao, baking powder. Add in the plant milk, syrup, melted coconut oil, vanilla and salt. Blend or stir up by hand until you have a pourable batter.
- Stir in cacao nibs for a bit of chocolate crunch, not too many though or they will melt and stick to the waffle maker surface.
- When I first bought my heart waffle maker, I rubbed olive oil over the surface and through the nooks and crannies, and then rubbed it off again. I am told this 'seasoning' is only needed once.
- I know waffles can be tricky. Both the machine and the batter can cause issues, but I am happy to say at least this time for me both this batter and this waffle maker produced perfect waffles ! The outside was crunchy and inside moist. I hope you enjoy this recipe! Let me know in comments if you make them!
Dee Dine is the recipe developer and writer behind Green Smoothie Gourmet. She shares her super healthy wholesome recipes on her blog and her Instagram that she feeds her family and friends. She gravitates toward recipes that are fast to create, plant-based, nutritious, easy, and use familiar ingredients. And chocolate is always a good idea! More about Dee.