This creamy chocolate hazelnut smoothie is protein-rich, energizing with avocado, naturally-sweetened with dates, rich in chocolate flavor and is made in under five minutes.
This chocolate hazelnut smoothie is creamy and rich thanks to the avocado and thick coconut milk. Like my chocolate smoothie, I froze the coconut milk to increase the thick texture. I served this smoothie in a bowl, but to serve it in a glass such as my chocolate peanut butter smoothie or my strawberry smoothie simply add another half cup of milk.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Rich chocolate in every sip. The hazelnuts accentuate the chocolate flavor, dates provide a clean sweet flavor, and the avocado helps thicken it so this drink is like the most delectable chocolate milkshake.
Quick to make. Unlike when making homemade nutella, you don't have to roast the hazelnuts for this recipe, and all other ingredients are ready to blend.
Powerhouse of energy. The avocado and kale and dates are tops in vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin K all of which fuel the body.
Nutrition benefits. Hazelnuts are known for vitamin E, and magnesium which powers metabolism and helps in weight-loss. Dates and avocado also provide fiber and support digestion.
- Fresh hazelnuts - Protein-rich, high in antioxidants and magnesium, plus adds the flavor of nutella to your shake.
- Cocoa powder - Adds a rich chocolate flavor. Use unsweetened and choose a quality brand.
- Avocado - This green fruit is known for its healthy monosaturated fats, folate and fiber.
- Kale - Kale is a dark leafy green full of essential vitamins. Spinach can also be used instead.
- Dates - Are a fruit that sweetens but doesn't raise your glysemic index, and provides iron and fiber.
- Milk - I used coconut milk but you can use your favorite. Coconuts though provide heart-healthy fats and dietary fiber.
How to Make
1. Add all ingredients to a blender and blend about 1 minute until smooth.
2. Serve in a bowl, top with fruits, or serve in a glass with a straw.
How to Store
For optimum nutrition it is best to drink this smoothie right away, however it can be drunk within 24 hours if kept refrigerated. To save it longer, pour it into ice cube trays and freeze to be blended later. When ready to re-blend, you might need to add a bit more liquid to create a smooth texture.
1. This recipe serves one person.
2. Freeze milk in ice cube trays, and add the milk to your smoothies that way to create a frosty texture. Or add ½ cup of milk and ½ cup of ice.
3. To increase the hazelnut flavor, add a drop of hazelnut extract.
4. Baby kale will be easier to blend than regular kale. You can use any leafy green in place of kale.
Subscribe HERE to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Chocolate Hazelnut Smoothie
- ¼ cup hazelnuts roasted and unsalted
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder unsweetened
- ¼ avocado
- ½ cup fresh kale
- 1 date pitted
- ¾ cup milk
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend about 1 minute until smooth.¼ cup hazelnuts, 2 tablespoon cocoa powder, ¼ avocado, ½ cup fresh kale, 1 date, ¾ cup milk
- Serve in a bowl, top with fruits, or serve in a glass with a straw.