Chocolate rice cakes made out of a creamy fudge mixed with crunchy puffed rice makes a delicious energizing snack. Protein-rich, vegan, gluten-free, and refined-sugar-free.
Chocolate Rice Cakes
Homemade chocolate rice cakes are an easy energizing snack. They are made of only 4 wholesome ingredients and need only a quick mix and chill, and your no bake chocolate treat is ready. It is refined-sugar-free, and made with vegan and gluten-free. Use a loaf pan or cupcake pans.
Ingredients In A Chocolate Rice Cakes
The way to make these chocolates is simple. First, gather the ingredients.
1. Chocolate - Use a quality chocolate bar at least 70% cacao to build the most nutrition into your bars. Look for a brand that has few and wholesome ingredients such as Lindt's 85% cacao, Ghiradelli baking bars, HU, Chocolate Love, THEO and more.
2. Sunflower Seed Butter - I used sunflower seed butter in these chocolates as a way to keep my bars nut-free, but of course any nut butter will work. You'll want a healthier butter, not the commercial brands that add sugar. I used sunflower seed butter, Sunbutter brand is my favorite.
2. Almond Flour - Almond flour is full of protein and healthy fats, can boost energy, trigger metabolism and assist in weight loss, improves digestion, and immunity [source]
4.Plain Rice Cakes - The rice cakes I used had no additional ingredients or flavors.
The Sudden Popularity of Rice Cakes
The plain, flavorless rice cake became a popular low-carb snack back in the 80s. It was invented though decades ago in New York when a botanist, Alexander Pierce Anderson, invented steam-puffed rice.
This year, rice cakes really had their moment on social media with a chocolate peanut butter rice cake invention cheered on by millions on both Instagram and TikTok. My invention here is a different and bound to kick of a trend, don't you think? lol.
How to Make These Cakes
Just mix ingredients in a bowl, press into loaf pan or cupcake tins, chill and they are ready. The full recipe is at the bottom of this post, but here are the general steps:
1. Melt Chocolate. Microwave chocolate and sunflower seed butter in a microwave safe container, stir until smooth.
2. Stir in other ingredients.
3. Pour or press mixture into a pan lined with parchment paper.
4. Melt chocolate and pour a layer on top, sprinkle with more crumbled rice cakes
5. Allow to set in freezer for 30 minutes to 1 hour before removing and then slice.
How to Store Chocolate Rice Cakes
Store these bars sliced and refrigerated, although wrapped they can be at room temperature for a few hours if you want to travel.
These chocolate rice cakes involve a mixture of crushed plain rice cakes, chocolate and other ingredients. You can buy chocolate flavored rice cakes however, so sometimes the name will be confused. Here are some general questions regarding chocolate rice cakes.
How Healthy are These Rice Cakes
Each of these cakes provide 4 gm protein and 3 gm fiber, as well as mood-boosting magnesium. And since there is no sugar, they are refined-sugar-free.
Other Chocolate Snacks To Try
Don't miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
If you try my recipes, please leave a comment and rating below and tag me on your Instagram post with @greensmoothiegourmet so I can see and share your remakes!!
Chocolate Rice Cakes
- 1 bar chocolate bar Use a quality by such as 70% lindt or Ghiradelli or HU or Chocolove
- ⅓ cup nut butter or any nut butter
- 2 tbsp almond flour or oat or coconut flour
- 6 rice cakes
Chocolate top (optional)
- 1 chocolate bar melted
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper, or add paper liners to a cupcake pan
- Crumble the rice cakes with your hands. You want about 1 cup of crumbled rice cakes.
- Chop both bars, divide in half.
Make chocolate shell
- Microwave the chopped chocolate in a microwave safe container for 1 minute, stir until smooth. Add a tbsp of coconut oil if the mixture seems too stiff.
Make chocolate filling
- Add to a bowl the almond flour, butter, one-half the melted chocolate and the crumbled rice cakes
- Spread mixture into a mold or paper-liners of a cupcake pan.
- Allow to harden in refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour.
- These chocolates rice cakes last in the refrigerator for a week or freeze easily.
This post is sponsored by Sunbutter. My opinions are my own.