Learn how to make an acai bowl at home with powder or fruit. A fruity healthy breakfast bowl with a touch of chocolate. Follow these easy steps to create a bowl packed with fiber, nutrients and antioxidants.
How to make an acai bowl using a short list of ingredients. This simple acai bowl is made with the frozen acai berries that you can find in your grocer's freezer. Pronounced "ah-sah-ee", this dark purple Brazilian fruit has long been hailed as a superfood, and is a popular way to eat it is as a thick creamy soft serve, in a bowl with fruit and chocolate toppings.
The acai berry tastes like chocolate so I add some chocolate to my acai bowl. Like other chocolate breakfast smoothies? Try my chocolate smoothie or my chocolate peanut butter smoothie or even my chocolate beet smoothie.
What is Acai?
Acai berries are a dark purple fruit that’s native to the Amazon region. They are grown in sky-high trees so it's actually a treacherous job to pick them. And they go bad quickly so you'll probably only find frozen berries unless you live in Brazil.
You’ll typically found acai that has been processed into a pulp and frozen at the grocery store. But be sure to check the package label because some brands do add sugar to the acai. You can also buy acai powder, which is usually in the supplement section. Be sure to buy the unsweetened version to keep it clean, but beware acai berries are not sweet in flavor so you'll need to blend it with a sweet fruit.
What is an Acai Bowl?
An acai bowl is a thick creamy smoothie made of primarily frozen acai berries or acai berry pulp blended with other frozen fruits and chocolate, then served in a bowl with healthy toppings such as more fruit, nuts, chocolate and more.
When made properly an acai bowl tastes both fruity and chocolatey, like a soft serve ice cream with a rainbow of toppings.
Benefits of Acai Bowls
1. Strong nutritional profile: The berries are low in sugar, high in healthy fats, rich in a balance of essential omegas, and full of other nutrients including vitamin A and trace minerals including zinc, iron and chromium. [source] This bowl alone provides 6 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber.
2. Rich in Antioxidants: Acai berries are full of these compounds that destroy disease. Evidence shows acai berries contains three times as many as do blueberries.[source]
3. Fights High Cholesterol: Acai berries improve cholesterol levels by decreasing total and LDL cholesterol.[source]
4. Protect Brain from Aging: The antioxidants in acai are said to specifically be great at reversing the damaging effects of inflammation and oxidation in the brain caused by aging. [source]
Acai Berry Pulp – Because acai berries are too delicate to transport, frozen puree is the form you'll need. Find it sold in packets in the frozen section of grocery stores. Be sure to find the unsweetened frozen pulp packets.
Chocolate - Because acai berries have a chocolate undertone, adding chocolate is a delicious and healthy twist. Choose a chocolate with at least 70% cacao.
Frozen pineapple – This fruit addition is a thickener and sweetener. Acai is not sweet so you need something to sweeten it. You may choose frozen banana or frozen mango instead.
Frozen mixed berries – Blueberries or strawberries work best with this flavor profile.
Dairy-free milk – Any milk works, but for a super thick smoothie, try adding frozen coconut ice cubes.
How to Make An Acai Bowl
1. Freeze your fruit. Be sure all your ingredients are frozen to increase the thick texture of your bowl.
2. Blend. Once frozen, add all the ingredients to a high speed blender. Don't blend so long that it all melts. you want a soft serve texture.
3. Assemble. Pour the mixture into a bowl, and top with toppings. Enjoy it right away.
Toppings for your acai bowl are only limited by your imagination, but here are a few to consider:
Chia seeds, Hemp Seeds, Flax seeds
Chocolate chunks or chips
Use Fresh or Powder
If you can't access frozen acai pulp packets in your grocer, buy acai powder where supplements are sold. To make an acai bowl with acai powder, simple add 1 tablespoon of the powder in place of 1 acai pulp packet. Stir it into ½ cup dairy-free yogurt for thickening.
Vegan & Gluten-Free
Keep the acai bowl vegan and gluten-free by using dairy-free milk, and choosing a vegan and gluten-free chocolate brand, and of course, any toppings.
Tips & Substitutions
1. Swap pineapple for mango or banana
2. Leave off the chocolate if you want to reduce the sugar
3. To make it thicker, add a tablespoon of chia seeds to the milk and allow it to thicken for five minutes before adding to the blender.
How is Acai Berry Pulp Made?
Acai berry pulp is flash frozen after the berries are picket, and packaged and shipped to grocery stores.
Are Acai Bowls Healthy?
Yes, full of nutrients, antioxidants, fiber and protein. Be careful to not add too much sugar in the way of toppings.
More Smoothie Recipes
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
How to Make an Acai Bowl
- 1 acai buy frozen packets at grocery story or use 1 tablespoon acai powder with ½ cup dairy free yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 cup pineapple or banana or mango, frozen
- 1 cup mixed berries or blueberries, raspberries and strawberries
- ½ inch ginger, fresh or ¼ teaspoon of ground ginger
- ½ cup dairy-free milk
- ½ cup fresh fruit
- ½ cup granola
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips
- Freeze everything overnight
Make Acai Bowl
- Blend up all ingredients.
- Pour the smoothie into bowls and adorn with fresh fruit and other toppings. Enjoy right away with a spoon!