Salted Blue Lemonade Margarita Popsicles (or just Blue Lemonade Spirulina Pop)
They say blue is the color of bliss, and popsicles trigger smiles, and tequila is the stuff of parties, so these pops might be the perfect route to your happy place.
And it won’t take long to get there.
Not only is this recipe easier than most – only 4 ingredients – it is super delicious, tart and sweet and fresh.
Feel like leaving out the liquor, be my guest!
You’ll end up with a blue lemonade spirulina pop instead.
And those are so fun and refreshing and, most importantly, healthy!
You should know though that since alcohol doesn’t like to freeze, there is less liquor in these pops than the typical shot.
And the blue? Like I said, that is spirulina, my friends, blue spirulina – a healthy algae, and a great source of protein, energy and other nutrients. So the added nutrition is an added bonus to this beautiful pop.
It’s a simple recipe, just lemon and lime juice, blue spirulina, maple syrup and silver tequila.
I suggest using fresh-squeezed lemon and lime juice, and buy a tequila that is clear white, as in “silver”. I will leave the brand up to you!
Don’t be intimidated by the blue spirulina. I used PureRaw and I have also used Blue Majik, but you can use your favorite brand. You want to use a trusted brand, and a powder, and you’ll be dissolving only 1 tbsp in water. I blended it to be sure it dissolved; you don’t want spirulina grains floating in your pops!
And I sweetened with maple syrup, because it’s healthier than other sweeteners but you can try your favorite.
I suggest you add half the sweetener first, and then taste-test the mixture in case that makes it sweet enough for you.
I hope these pretty blue pops are just what you needed today!
And if you like this recipe, I’ve teamed up with the @feedfeed and Kate over at @holajalapeno to celebrate #margaritaweek. So you can find my Salted Blue Lemonade Margarita Pops recipe and dozens of other terrific margarita recipes from other talents by visiting Margarita Week 2018 page here
Salted Blue Lemonade Margarita Popsicles
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water + 1 tbsp Spirulina powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup silver tequila
Make Spirulina water
- Blend water and 1 tbsp of blue spirulina powder until fully dissolved.
Make Blue Lemonade Margarita
- Squeeze your lemons and limes to gather 1 cup of juice combined.
- Stir in a container (I used my blender pitcher), the blue water, juices, and tequila. Add half the maple syrup and taste-test, add the rest if needed.
Make the Popsicles
- Pour the mixture into the popsicle molds. Freeze the mold for 1 hour and then insert sticks.
- Freeze the mold for another 4 hours or more. Remove popsicles by submerging mold (not getting popsicles wet) in a tub of hot water. Pull out a popsicle, put it in the freezer immediately. They melt fast.
- I also wet the top of each removed popsicle and dotted on salt to emmulate a real margarita. If you don't want to add salt, use coconut shreds - it's still tropical!