Watermelon Citrus Immunity-Booster Popsicles (vegan, dairy-free, refined-sugar-free)
Is there anything more annoying than a summer cold?
I made these high-immunity pops because my daughter caught a cold this week. A summer cold is no fun, so I was looking for ways to make her smile and fight her cold.
These pops earned a smile!
They are boosted with the natural immunity power of watermelon, so high in vitamins C, A and B6, as well as antioxidants and amino acids. And I popped in lime of course because everyone knows that citrus (also a top immunity booster) is a favorite fresh pairing with watermelon.
And what really pushes the immunity button in this recipe however is baobab powder, that special superfood scrapped from the bark of baobab trees that is so high in vitamin C, potassium, magnesium and more cold-busters.
And to round out the pops’ overall nutrition, I embedded fresh coconut shavings, using the best brand on the market for these – Bob’s Red Mill. These flakes are so fresh, you could actually blend them into a smooth and creamy coconut butter. I didn’t do that here, though. I took an easy route and just popped them into the top layer, just before the popsicle mixture froze solid.
Fresh unsweetened coconut flakes are awesome because they hold healthy fats, carbs, protein and iron and phosphorus which support teeth and bone. So they actually help you feel more full after eating these pops.
I hope you like these festive and healthy pops!
Watermelon Citrus Immunity-Booster Popsicles
- Blend up the watermelon, lime juice and baobab, but only until combined. You want the watermelon flesh to have some substance as it freezes.
- Pour into molds leaving about 1/2 inch at the top for the flakes.
- Slide a lime slice into each and press against the side with the handle of a spoon.
- Freeze for one hour, then insert sticks and top with coconut flakes.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours before eating.
- Remove popsicles by submerging mold (not getting popsicles wet) in a tub of hot water. Pull out a popsicle, put it in the freezer immediately. Enjoy!
Thank you Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring this post. The recipe, ideas, content and opinions expressed here are all my own. I do recommend you try Bob’s Red Mill products, you will be so inspired by all their healthy unique products!