Watermelon pizza is a sweet healthy treat with thick watermelon slices topped with yogurt and fruit, a wonderful way to celebrate this summer fruit.
Watermelon pizza is a spectacular invention. Just spread yogurt on slices of watermelon and dot with fresh fruit. Slice the watermelon into wheels. Leave as is or cut those into fours. Spread the yogurt and dot with fruit. Have it for breakfast along with my overnight oats, or even my fresh strawberry smoothie.
Why You'll Love This
Easy to make. Exceptionally easy snack or breakfast. Just slice watermelon, spread with yogurt and top with fruit. Your hardest decision will be which shape watermelon to use and what toppings.
Customizable. These slices are so easy to customize with fruits and toppings you like. Go fiber-heavy with mango and banana chunks, and sprinkle with hemp seeds. Or emphasis anti-inflammatory toppings with pineapple and berries. Or make it more dessert-like with crumbled cookies, chocolate sauce, and homemade chocolate chips.
Nutrition. To say this snack is good for you is an understatement. The yogurt, any yogurt you choose, is high in protein; the fruits you choose bring their nutrition, and watermelon alone is highly hydrating, rich in electrolytes, and vitamin C.
Watermelon. A round baby watermelon, about 7-10 inches in diameter, is my favorite choice for about 4 personal watermelon pizzas with no waste.
Yogurt. Use an unsweetened and unflavored yogurt to allow the watermelon and fruits to carry the flavor. Use cashew or coconut yogurt if dairy-free, and greek yogurt if not plant-based or vegan.
Fruits. Melon, apples berries, nuts, seeds, fresh mint.
How to Make Watermelon Pizza
Step 1: Chop fruit for toppings. Slice berries in half. Slice apples and melons into slivered slices, peel citrus and clean slices of white pith. Chop pineapple, dragon fruit and mango into small dice.
Step 2. Using a sharp knife, cut watermelon slices that are evenly sized, about 2 inches thick.
Step 3: Lay the slices flat, and use a frosting knife to spread an even layer of yogurt on one side.
Step 4: Layer chopped fruits and any additional toppings evenly. Sprinkle with freshly chopped mint, and slice "pizza" slices and serve.
Choosing a Watermelon
You'll want a ripe, sweet, firm watermelon for your watermelon pizza slices. Look for these signs.
1. Heavy to lift, a sign the melon is sweet and not watery.
2. Has wide dark green and light green stripes, not narrow, a sign of sugar seeping, thus a sweet melon.
Round, not oval, as oval usually indicates a more watery texture.
3. Large yellow field spot on one end. Yellow indicates where the melon sat in the field, getting ripe. A white spot or no spot means it didn't stay in the field that long, and might be less ripe and more bitter.
1. Choose a ripe watermelon to be sure the meat is sweet.
2. Be sure the knife is a very sharp, and long enough to create evenly surfaced watermelon slices.
3. Use chilled watermelon, yogurt and fruits to start because once you top the watermelon pizza, it needs to be served right away and it tastes best chilled.
4. Add a touch of lemon juice before the yogurt level to help keep the watermelon crispy. However, if you prefer a sweeter watermelon flavor, you can leave it off.
Is watermelon pizza vegan and gluten free?
Watermelon pizza meets the needs of anyone vegan, gluten free, paleo, dairy-free, and refined sugar free. Just be sure to use a dairy-free yogurt or a vegan and plant-based yogurt when needed.
What fruits go with watermelon?
Strawberries, mango, and berries pair well with the sweet flavor of watermelon.
Other Watermelon Recipes
Interested in sharing on pinterest? Use this image...
I invite you to keep up with me on: Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Food Gawker | Twitter
Don’t miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
- 4 cups watermelon sliced into 7-10 inch round slabs
- 2 cups yogurt
- 2 cups fresh fruit
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Choose watermelons to slice. Round baby watermelons work well because you can slice rounds, that graduate in size. Use a spoon to sprinkle lemon juice.4 cups watermelon, 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Wash and chop and peel fruits.
Top watermelon slices
- Slather yogurt on the slices, leaving an inch of space at the edge, including the rind, to leave a finger hold.2 cups yogurt
- Spread fruit pieces in the yogurt, distributing evenly.2 cups fresh fruit
- Watermelon slices prepared like this do not store. Eat right away.
Apart from Margarita, this is definitely my favourite pizza!