This little frosty cup might seem like a child’s ice cream truck treat, but whoa, does it pack a powerful nutritional punch! Any one of these elements – buckwheat groats, chia seeds, watermelon and baobab powder – helps boost any meal, but add in all four and you have yourself a breakfast or snack that covers many of your essential nutritional vitamins and minerals and more for the day! I personally have two of these in morning, about 2 cups. Here is the nutritional detail on these superpowers!
- Buckwheat groats – are not a grain, but a seed that is high in both protein and fiber. Gluten-free, groats provide heart health and can help prevent diabetes and digestive disorders.
- Chia Seeds – contain healthy omega-3 fatty acids, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, antioxidants, and calcium
- Watermelon – holds significant levels of vitamins A, B6 and C, lots of lycopene, antioxidants and amino acids
- Baobab powder – is a superfood high in calcium, vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, zinc, vitamin A, thiamin, B6 and bioflavonoids
So this parfait is tiny but nutritionally potent!
Like these jars? They are the famous Weck jars. They even come with lids and last forever. Buy them here. OR try finding a jelly brand that comes in a nice jar that you can save and recycle as a parfait jar..
makes about 4 1-cup parfaits
- 4 cups frozen watermelon chunks (Chop watermelon in 1-inch blocks and freeze on cookie sheets then bag and keep frozen for later use OR just use 3 cups chilled watermelon and 1 cup crushed ice)
- 2 tbsp Baobab (I use this brand)
- 2 cups plant yogurt (Here is my recipe for homemade cashew yogurt)
- 2 tbsps chia seeds
- 8 tbsp soaked buckwheat groats (I love this brand)
- 4 tbsp key lime juice
To prepare the yogurt, buy or make plant yogurt. Hand-stir in 2 tbsp lime juice and 1 tbsp baobab powder. Split the 2 cups of prepped yogurt into two portions. Stir the chia seeds into 1 of the cups of yogurt; leave the other plain white. Set both aside.
To prepare the watermelon slush, briefly blend up watermelon chunks , 2 tbsp lime juice and 1 tbsp baobab to make a slush. And I MEAN briefly blend. If using a high-speed blender, note that these blenders actually warm their contents if you run too long and you will melt the slush so be careful to blend very little.
To layer parfaits, add first soaked buckwheat groats, then plain yogurt, then chia yogurt. Pour the watermelon slush into each parfait glass to top. Dress with a mint leaf and cherry! Enjoy right away, melts fast!