Hello! I am back with another healthy pop-in-your-mouth workout snack!
And this time the base protein in not white beans!
This one is perfect for both, because it contains all the requirements for the best foods to eat both before and after a workout.
Now you probably can guess a pre-workout snack especially needs a good balance of fat – not so high as to be slow to digest, but high enough to provide energy to burn.
That’s why these bites are perfect – 4-5 popped before a workout are enough to do just that!
Actually the science behind pre-workout food and post-workout food is fascinating, you can read more from the experts at Colorado State University who make a study of it here.
They emphasize what you probably already know, that good workout food should have all three macro-nutrients, carbohydrates, protein and healthy fats.
And my little bites have all three!
It all comes from two ingredients basically – cashews and spirulina.
Blue spirulina, hence the pretty shade of blue. In fact when my daughter walked past the photoshoot she immediately said “Cinderella bites!!”
The cashews are a wonderful pre-workout and post-workout snack – they actually provide all three macro-nutrients in one small package. That means these nuts – and actually most nuts, such as almonds and walnuts – are perfect to boost your energy before a workout, and perfect to help repair and replenish after a workout.
Spirulina ups the protein in this snack, and works to both boost your energy before a workout, and fix and repair your muscles after a workout. Spirulina is considered a perfect protein, containing all essential amino acids, as well as calcium, niacin, potassium, magnesium, B vitamins and iron – all nutrition necessary for someone who is working out.
The blue spirulina I used here has a very mild flavor, and a very mild color so I actually added a lot to boost the spirulina levels in each bite. I am not sure how much other brands of blue spirulina would taste in this recipe, so I would be careful to pull the tbsp number down if you are using a spirulina with a strong flavor. Or taste-test and counter any bitterness with maple syrup.
I hope you love these pretty bites. I pop 4-5 before an hour spinning workout! Keeps me going fantastically well!
Cashew Spirulina Protein Workout Bites (3-ingredients,vegan)
- 2 cups cashews raw & soaked 1 hour in hot water
- 4 tbsp to 1/3 cup plant milk
- 4 tbsp blue spirulina (For this recipe, I used this brand)(Very mild in flavor; if you use a stronger-flavored blue spirulina, taste-test and add syrup to offset any flavor)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (very optional, taste-test in blender)
- Soak your cashews either overnight or for at least one hour in water that has just been boiled. Soaking raw nuts is necessary to break down phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors that occur naturally in raw nuts and which can block proper mineral absorption and digestion. Breaking down both increases the nutrient availability of nuts, and allows for proper digestion.
- Blend rinsed cashews, spirulina and at least 2 tbsp of plant milk. Whether you need more plant milk to make the mixture creamy depends on how soft your cashews are. Sometimes I add up to 1/4 cup of plant milk to smooth it out, you can't add too much.
- Taste test to decide if you think your bites need sweetner. I never add it because my cashews and plant milk add enough flavor, but I don't like things sweet (haha, surprising, huh? Given all the chocolate desserts on my site!)
Pour into molds (I buy silicon molds and use a squeeze bottle to pour it in) or use mini cupcakes papers or ice cube trays, freeze at least 2 hours (or longer depending on your freezer temperature) and then eat! Keep frozen until ready to eat - these melt faster than the ones I made with white beans so beware! Enjoy popping them post workout!
Do you like workout recipes? Here are several others that might be useful:
- 2-ingredient Strawberry Protein Pre-workout Bites
- 3-Ingredient Chocolate Protein Bites
- 2-ingredient Blueberry Pre-workout Protein Bites
Enjoy your workout!