Chocolate protein workout snacks are full of protein from white beans! A terrific energizing snack that is free of dairy, gluten, and refined or processed sweeteners.
Chocolate Protein Workout Snacks
These chocolate protein workout snacks are easy to make, only 3 ingredients. And dairy free as well as gluten free.
I love protein workout snacks made with beans. Especially chocolate.
The benefits are immediately apparent both during and after my workout! I have been spinning this past year and it takes a lot of energy. And these workout snacks are easy to make and full of energizing ingredients.
You might have noticed my Strawberry Protein Energy Snack.
Well, I thought, why not use beans in chocolate for either a pre-work out snack or post-workout. And that’s how I came up with the recipe. Because, well, chocolate.
How Healthy are White Beans in Workout Snacks?
Beans are really the perfect energizing snack, full of protein, fiber and a slew of other nutritional benefits, including potassium and iron, good for shiny hair among other effects; thiamine for a boost to your cognitive abilities; heart-supporting folate and magnesium, and copper to fight inflammation and antioxidants galore!
And chocolate, raw cacao, is also full of antioxidants, and mood-boosting magnesium.
How Are These Chocolate Protein Workout Snacks Made?
Easy! Just blend up ingredients, pour into molds or mini cupcake papers and freeze.
These snacks can be made with either date paste and maple syrup as the sweetener. I found maple syrup to sweeten the flavor a bit more than dates, so if you don’t have dates or paste around, you can use maple syrup instead but reduce by half.
Try to find dates for this snack, though. The reason is with only 3 ingredients, you want each ingredient to contribute heavily to the nutrition of the recipe. While maple syrup certainly isn’t as harmful as refined sugar, it doesn’t have the considerable fiber and iron of dates.
I like to make date paste and store it in the freezer so I always have some one hand. My homemade date paste recipe is
Here are My Reader Favorite Chocolate Recipes
And Try More of My Protein Snacks
- Chocolate Protein Workout Snacks
- Strawberry Protein Energy Snack
- Cantaloupe Carrot Protein Bites
- Dragon Fruit Protein Bites
- Protein Bite Blueberry Recipe
- Tropical Protein Cauliflower Snacks
- Cashew Spirulina Protein Snack
- Butterfly Pea Flower Protein Bites
Enjoy your workout! Interested in sharing on pinterest? Perhaps use this image…
Don’t miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Chocolate Protein Workout Snacks
- 1 can (15oz/425gms) white beans (navy beans, organic & precooked - I have used Eden and Whole Foods 365 brand)
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 3 tbsp date paste or 2 tbsp maple syrup
Make chocolate workout snacks
- Rinse the beans, blend them with the other ingredients, and pour into molds or mini cupcake papercups.
- Freeze for an hour (or longer depending on your freezer temperature) and then unmold and store in an air tight container! Keep frozen until ready to eat.
- Made in small molds, I can pop them in my mouth straight from the freezer and they melt in my mouth like little pieces of fudge.
- Made in paper mini-cups, the bite is bigger so you might want to let it thaw 10 minutes or so before eating, then it's fudgy and you can bite it..
Dee Dine is founder of Green Smoothie Gourmet, a plant based recipe blog, and author of the recent cookbook, Crazy Healthy with 4 Ingredients . On this blog you’ll find incredibly easy recipes with hidden veggies for anyone wanting to eat healthier, regardless of diet. Dee has graduate degrees in immunological nutritional studies and journalism. More about Dee Dine here.