Lime water, especially made from blender lime juice, is a nutritional wonder, supporting digestion, fighting colds, protects the eyes, and hydrating with a treasure trove of daily nutritional benefits. Read about lime water benefits here. Use my homemade concentrated lime juice recipe here or make a single serve glass of lime water using limes.
Lime Water | 6 Lime Water Benefits
Lime water, like lemon water, is a great way to hydrate as well as take in nutritional benefits including potassium, vitamin C, and iron. Plus, it’s loaded with antioxidants. A far improvement over any sugary or processed drinks.
Table of Contents For this Post
What is Lime Water?
Lime water is water with lime juice in it. You can make it by adding concentrated lime juice to water, or just squeezing a lime. Lime water is delicious in water because, unlike lemon, it has a tinge of sweet. Okay, not sweet like sugar, but it doesn't have the bite that lemon brings to water.
How Healthy Are Limes?
This citrus is often lemon's shadow, but it carries as much nutritional weight. Limes are rich in nutrients vital to support and protection of the human body including potassium, vitamin C, and iron. Plus, it's loaded with antioxidants and compounds that help several areas of the body stay healthier. Read more about the benefits of drinking lime water below.
Six Benefits of Lime Water
Lime juice adds a slew of nutritional benefits over plain old water. Here are 6:
1. Boosts digestion by providing stimulating flavonoids, magnesium and potassium all of which help break down food and move it along through your system. [source]
2. Strengthens your immune system because of high levels of vitamin C and antioxidants. Lime water can even help bring down a fever thanks to high vitamin C levels which naturally lower body temperature. [source]
3. Provides antioxidants which supports glowing skin, supports main organs and fights off disease.[source]
4. Supports weight loss by stimulating the metabolism.[source]
5. Helps regulate blood sugar. Limes have a low glycemic index thus regulate how your body absorbs sugar into the bloodstream. [source]
6. Cleans your gut with detoxing anti-viral and antiseptic components. [source]
Three Ways to Make Lime Water
There are three ways to make lime water :
2. Squeeze a lime into a single serve glass of lime water,
3. Use fresh limes and lime juice to make a pitcher of infused lime water
Read on to learn how to make each one.
First Make Fresh Lime Juice Concentrate
My detailed recipe for homemade lime juice is here, but in general you will:
1. Wash, peel and slice limes
2. Add to blender with 1 cup of water and blend.
3. Strain to collect juice.
1. How to Make Lime Water With Concentrate
Now that you have a fresh concentrated lime juice concentrate, let's use it to make lime water.
Basically, you just add 2 tbsp of your concentrate to 1 cup of water as you plan to drink it. Drink it warm if you want to stimulate digestion.
How Does Warm Lime Water Help Digestion?
The stimulation starts in your mouth. The lime citrus oils trigger digestive saliva and acts as a light switch to your digestive system. When the water is warm, this triggers is stronger and faster.
Next, lime acids begin to break down food, while the flavonoids, the compounds found in lime oils, trigger the secretion of digestive juices and stomach acids, and give the intestines a poke to get going, turning on peristaltic motion.
2. How to Make A Single Serving of Lime Water
On days you don't have lime juice concentrate in the refrigerator, make a single glass of lime water fast using a fresh lime:
1. Wash and cut a lime in half. Cut a single thin slice off each half, and pop them into a glass.
2. Squeeze both halves into that glass to collect the juice. This will give you about 1 tbsp of juice.
3. Add 1 cup of water, stir and drink. The water can be chilled or warm.
3. How to Make Infused Lime Water in a Pitcher
Of course it's easy to make a pitcher with lime juice concentrate on hand. Just add the concentrate, water and chopped limes to a pitcher and refrigerate to chill.
But if you don't have concentrate on hand, you can use fresh limes only. It will have a reduced concentration of lime flavor however. To make it without concentrate:
1. Wash and slice 4 limes. Put them into a pitcher.
2. Use a spoon to press on the sliced limes to help squish out their juices. This is called muddling.
3. Fill the pitcher with cold water - mine holds about 6 cups cold water, and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
How to Store
Lime water can be refrigerated for about 2 days before losing flavor and nutrients.
Lime juice concentrate, however, can keep in the refrigerator for about 1 month, and used to make single serve lime juice glasses daily.
You can also freeze lime juice concentrate in an ice cube tray. Then, the night before, pop a single ice cube in a refrigerated glass and it melts overnight. Over the next few days, I use that to make the drink over a few days.
Is it Good to Drink Lime Water in the Morning?
Drinking this in the morning is an excellent way to stimulate digestive juices and avoid constipation. Make sure the water you use is warm-ish. Microwave a glass of water in a microwave-safe glass for 1 minute and then add a few tablespoons of fresh lime concentrate.
Is it Good to Drink Lime Water at Night?
Drinking this citrus water before bed, at night, is a great way to stimulate elimination in the morning. Be sure to drink it in warm water, microwave a microwave-safe glass for 1 minute.
Can I Drink Lime Water Everyday?
Yes, it is probably best to drink a strong concentration of lime water with a straw however because citrus acid can damage enamel over time.
Which is Better Lemon or Lime Water?
Both citrus fruits provide strong benefits. Limes actually help the body absorb more calcium [source] which is great for bones, and more vitamin A which supports skin and the immune system, but lemons have other benefits as well.
More Detox Drinks to Make
Don't miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
If you try my recipes, please leave a comment and rating below and tag me on your Instagram post with @greensmoothiegourmet so I can see and share your remakes!!
Make Lime Water | Six Benefits
For A Single Serving of Lime Water with Homemade Lime Juice Concentrate
- 2 tbsp homemade lime juice concentrate Use my recipe here
- 1 cup water
For A Single Serving of Lime Water with Fresh Limes
- 1 fresh lime, squeezed organic
- 1 cup water
For Infused Lime Water using Both Fresh Limes & Concentrate
- 4 fresh limes, sliced organic
- 1 cup homemade lime juice concentrate Use my recipe here
- 6 cups water
How to Make Lime Water With Lime Juice Concentrate
- Make my lime juice concentrate, recipe is here. Add 2 tbsp of concentrate to 1 cup of water. Drink.
How to Make Lime Water With a Fresh Lime
- Squeeze one lime into 1 cup of water. Drink.
- To drink warm, microwave a microwave-safe cup or glass for 1 minute before adding lime juice. To drink chilled, chill water or add ice.
How to Make Infused Lime Water using Both Fresh Limes & Concentrate
- Add 1 cup of homemade lime juice concentrate to a pitcher.
- Wash and slice 4 limes. Put them into a pitcher. Use a spoon to press on the sliced limes to help squish out their juices. This is called muddling.
- Fill the pitcher with cold water - mine holds about 6 cups cold water, and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.