Easy Healthy Smoothie Recipes!
Use ice cubes to make your morning meals easy, fast and healthy.
Smoothie mornings are my favorite because they can be made fast, can be filled with nutrition, make me feel great and are an easy way to get nutrition into my family at the break of dawn!
Remember to use organic fruits and veggies based on the “Clean Dirty” lists by the EWG. For instance, berries, zucchini and apples are all test high in pesticide absorption so should be bought organic or peeled. (Download the EWG’s most up-to-date list in a convenient printable format to hang on your refrigerator for fast reference.)
Using this smoothie cube how-to and recipes, you will have cubes ready in the freezer to make fast smoothies, whether several at once, or on a single-serve basis! Easy-Peasy! Happy Smoothie Mornings!
Smoothie Ice Cube Concentrates for Make-Ahead Breakfast
Make-ahead smoothies with your ice cube trays and make breakfast healthy, easy, fast and fun!
PINK Pitaya Berry Smoothie
YELLOW Mango Cream Smoothie
- 1 cup mango
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup plant milk
- 1 tsp baobab powder
PURPLE Acai Blackberry Smoothie
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp acai powder
BLUE Spirulina Protein Smoothie
ORANGE Carrot Citrus Smoothie
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
GREEN Sweet Leafy Smoothie
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped apple
- 1/2 cup white grapes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Covered Ice Cube Tray I like this brand because each tray holds 1 cup of concentrate and has a cover so the ice cubes do not take on freezer scents and tastes. I typically use two trays per flavor - The ingredient lists above create 2 cups worth of mixture per flavor. But of course you can use any ice tray and adjust the recipe to make as much concentrate as you want.
- High Speed Blender (I use a Blendtec, square pitcher is easy to clean!) OR a..
- Food Processor Here is my favorite.
To make the smoothie concentrate ice cubes
To your blender or processor, add the ingredients for the flavor smoothie you plan to make except the liquid.
Blend the mixture roughly and add half the liquid called for in the recipe. If half is enough to create a pourable mixture, then stop blending/processing and move to STEP 2.
If the mixture won't blend well without more liquid, add the remaining liquid into the container and blend again. You can even add a bit more of that same liquid if the mixture needs it to blend creamy.
Your GOAL: roughly 2 cups of mixture of a creamy, pourable texture.
- Once your smoothie flavor choice mixture is smooth and pourable and is about 2 cups, pour into ice trays -- the ingredient lists above make 2 cups per flavor -- and freeze at least 4 hours. Pop bricks out and store in an air-tight container in the freezer to blend up for future smoothies. They seem to last at least a month - I haven't kept them longer
To use these cubes to make your smoothie
Into your blender put 4-6 bricks, 1/2 to 1 cup of milk or coconut water or plant milk, and blend. As before, start with 1/2 cup of the liquid, and add the rest only if needed to create a smooth pourable texture.
REGARDING liquid choice in the final smoothie:
--coconut water will sweeten it,
--plain water will make it more bland, and
--milk will make it more creamy.
If your blender can't blend ice cubes easily, pop this mixture (with only 1/2 cupc liquid) into a glass the night before and keep in the refrigerate to blend up in the morning.
And of course you can add almonds, cashews and quinoa. If you do, please remember to rinse and soak them, preferably overnight, and rinse again before adding to your smoothies. And remember, you don’t have to cook the quinoa. You can even add buckwheat groats. These additions boost the protein and nutrition considerably.
And here are a few additions that you may have not have thought of that you can add to your smoothie
- Pea Protein Powder
- Coconut Butter
- Goji Berries
- Flaxseed Meal
- Camu Camu Powder
- Wheatgrass Powder
- Ceremonial Grade Matcha Tea
Looking for More Detox Recipes?
Another detox recipe you might enjoy is my Blender Lemon Ginger shot, no juicer necessary!
Remember, awesome breakfast equals awesome day!
Feel free to comment below or share the picture below on social media. Are you on Instagram? Stop by here and see me. Enjoy!