Easy Weight Loss Smoothie with all the greens, zucchini, kale, green grapes for sweet, as well as carrots for vitamin A, and baobab powder for sky-high vitamin C, known to be a huge fat buster!
The Perfect Green Smoothie
Filled with Zucchini, Kale, Buckwheat, Carrots, Baobab
This banana-free smoothie is full of ingredients that will boost energy, and keep you full and boost your metabolism. This is based on protein from the buckwheat, soluble fiber from the veggies and fruit fueling energy and staving off cravings.
And helped by high amounts of vitamin C from Baobab. A study by Arizona State scientists showed that people consuming high amounts of vitamin C burn fat 25% faster. So workouts are more effective people!
A Banana-Free Smoothie
Also, did you notice I did not use a banana, the most common thickening ingredient in smoothies? Bananas are nutritious, no doubt. Full of fiber and potassium, but I don’t love them, haha. And my daughter can’t eat them, so I have an arsenal of banana-free smoothies on this blog.
In fact, most of my smoothies on this blog will offer alternative thickeners, including zucchini, chia seeds, avocado, cauliflower (riced and steamed), cucumber (English, peeled) and more.
Zucchini as a Smoothie Thickener
I especially enjoy using zucchini because it doesn’t add sugar, just fiber and no flavor. I use it raw, peeled or not, depending on the color I am after, haha.
In this recipe, I peeled it just so I wouldn’t have specs in my smoothie. One note, please don’t forget to use organic zucchinis since they are on the “dirty” list created by the EWG.
Download my free clean/dirty lists here and save to your phone. Refer to them while shopping so you know when should spend the extra bucks to buy organic and when it’s not necessary because the produce is “clean”.
Buckwheat Groats are Filling in Smoothies
And lastly, buckwheat groats (which is actually a fruit) contributes to weight-loss effects because they are high in soluble fiber which suppress appetites. You soak them overnight in water and a tsp of ACV to aid in digestion, then rinse and blend into your morning smoothie.
How Does This Weight Loss Smoothie Taste?
Like a filling green smoothie with a bite. The bite is either ginger, or mint leaves, whichever you have on hand..
I hope you enjoy this creamy route to weight control!
Other delicious weight loss recipes you might like to try:
Detox Water for Weightloss & Wellness
Interested in sharing on pinterest? Use this image…
Don’t miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
A Weight Loss Smoothie; the Perfect Green Smoothie
- 1 cup baby kale (or baby spinach)
- 1/2 cup green grapes (frozen)
- 1/4 cup carrots
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup zucchini (peel it, chop it and freeze it - makes an awesome thickener for smoothies, perfect alternative to bananas.)
- 1/4 cup buckwheat groats (rinse, soaked overnight in 1 tsp apple cider vinegar)
- 1 cup hemp milk (or your favorite milk)(freeze in an ice cube tray and thaw 20 minutes before blending to create a slush)
- 1 tbsp Baobab powder
- 1 handful fresh mint leaves
- 1 tsp ginger root (peeled, chopped, pressed through garlic press)
- Soak your buckwheat groats in 3-4 times the amount of water, overnight and in the refrigerator. Be sure to add a tsp of apple cider vinegar to the water. The soaking this way will breaks down the natural phytic acid (present on many seeds and grains to protect them as they grown) and it's important to remove it before we eat it to make it easier to digest.
- Buy organic zucchini or leave it out - you need organic because this veggie (and like berries) is considered high in insecticide absorption if not grown organically. You must buy it organic.
Make the smoothie, easy peasy!
- Blend liquids and leaves first, add zucchini and the rest and blend until smooth. NOTE: Add only 1/4 green grapes at first and taste-test - they make the smoothie very sweet.I typically chill at least an hour before drinking or make sure some ingredients are frozen. Chilling this smoothie makes it taste brighter.
- You can store this smoothie refrigerated overnight.To keep the nutrition intact when refrigerating overnight, cover the smoothie with something that touches the surface so there is no air between the liquid and the container. I store mine in a ball canning jar with lid. I touch the surface with a small piece of parchment paper, and screw on the lid and return to refrigerator.
Dee Dine is founder of Green Smoothie Gourmet, a plant based recipe blog, and author of the recent cookbook, Crazy Healthy with 4 Ingredients . On this blog you’ll find incredibly easy recipes with hidden veggies for anyone wanting to eat healthier, regardless of diet. Dee has graduate degrees in biology, immunology and journalism. More about Dee Dine here.